wire ... metal ... fibre .... unique handcrafted jewelry and accessories for men and women

Monday, October 17, 2011

hammered!


multi-strand necklace, originally uploaded by ebbandflo_pomomama.

Though wire crochet is my main design passion, I must admit to quite enjoying hitting thicker bits of wire into spiral patterns. Any of you who joined me on Art For Youth day in Port Moody will have witnessed this side of me, as my volunteers and I introduced anyone who could life a hammer to the delights of flattening wire.
The technical term for hitting wire is conditioning. As you hit the wire, it flattens and spreads. Up to a certain point the wire work hardens and becomes more rigid. Enthusiastic hammerers quickly found that the next stage after work hardening is metal fatigue, where the wire becomes really brittle and shatters.
If you can reign in your blows, shaping and hardening the wire produces lovely swirls and spirals which add a fluid design element to a simple beaded chain. So from a straight piece of round wire, beautiful flattened connectors for your creations.

multi strand necklace with glass pearls, denim lapis, glass

 
Pin It button on image hover