wire ... metal ... fibre .... unique handcrafted jewelry and accessories for men and women

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

morning rituals

espresso cup pair


espresso cup pair, handpainted by ebbandflo


Just wanted to share a morning ritual with you.


I am most definitely not a morning person but the Wee Guy is all abuzzing as soon as his eyes open at daybreak (yes, it's brutal in the summer). To emerge unscathed from the breakfast ritual we've evolved a small ritual - the "do not disturb mummy when she is listening to The Archers podcast" ritual which on a good day garners me approximately 13 minutes of uninterrupted breakfast. In translation, enough time for a poached egg on toast and most of a cup of coffee.


Most important.


I've been listening to The Archers for most of my adult life (more info on them here) since I graduated from university and moved away fom where I grew up to work in the Rhondda Valley in Wales. The episodes have been a mainstay of continuity in a sometimes chaotic life. Storylines about rural life, love, tuberculosis, silage, farming accidents, suicide, births, and so on have accompanied me as I dealt with being far away from family, battled with an abusive boyfriend, bought and sold houses, moved around the UK for jobs and thru assorted (healthier) romances. When I emigrated to Canada I thought my affair with the country folks was over but then those jolly chaps at the BBC introduced the podcast and my listening life was saved! Originally the daily Archers podcasts were sent to my email inbox but over time my online life has become more sophisticated and RSS feeds such as this are collated in my Google Reader.


If you're a portable crafter, podcasts are available from many sources for downloading onto an iPod, but even in the craft studio they can be a welcome and educational accompaniment to your crafting day. Check out the links below for some additions to your RSS feeds list.



Happy listening!




 
Pin It button on image hover