Monday, October 29, 2012
Sunday, October 28, 2012
|hand-painted silk scarf by Jane Ostenstad|
|origami gift stars by Yolanda Cheung; ceramic buttons by Dan Severance; photo pendant by Sarah Ronald|
Saturday, October 27, 2012
Friday, October 26, 2012
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Sunday, October 21, 2012
Saturday, October 20, 2012
Friday, October 19, 2012
... and this year's submission for the Port Moody Arts Centre 6x6 fundraiser and exhibition is a continuation of my usual theme - wire and fibre. I'm back on track this year with a very odd looking mixed media brooch mounted into the 6x6 inch cradled panel.
Please visit the arts centre this Fall - the exhibition opens November 15th.
... and please bid on one of the works on display. All pieces are donated by the artists and all funds go to supporting the arts centre.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Monday, October 15, 2012
Saturday, October 13, 2012
This month's featured artist is Valerie Gilbert, one of Blackberry's three paper artists. Valerie's work comprises intricately folded papers framed in a reverse silhouette - she describes the technique as iris folding and she is an expert. Her work is available in some truly unique cards, which incidentally make great hostess gifts when you want to be extra-appreciative, and beautiful framed works.
- How long have you been an artist? 3 1/2 years
- Where did you train? Self-taught
- Do you work in a studio or at home? At home
- Do you work as an artist full-time, part-time, or do you squeeze in the creating as a hobby? Full time (when I'm not volunteering or doing shows)
- Describe how a piece progresses, from first inspiration to finished object in the gift shop. I draw the design, cut out with a straight edge knife, then select papers that I hope will work together. I cut strips of the paper, fold them and then create the design (hopefully it looks good!)
- What's your favourite piece to make? Probably the Kimono
- Who inspires you, and why? I think the customer - when I am at shows and hear the positive comments, it feels good and I want to do more!
Friday, October 12, 2012
Thursday, October 11, 2012
Without unscrewing the side panel how else can I show you my digital studio?
Come to think of it, my Nexus 7 doesn't have a side panel. A truly portable studio.
PS: I'm putting a piece of y digital art up for auction in the Port Moody Art Centre 6 x 6 exhibition this Christmas. It goes on display mid-november.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Monday, October 8, 2012
I made three cuffs last night - maybe mindless repetitive preps the way?
PS: yes - October, strappy top - we're having a glorious late summer in Lower Mainland, BC. Into next week there'll be no need to switch on the furnace or the fire. Good times.
Sunday, October 7, 2012
Buntzen lake hike: Yesterday I went on a hike at Buntzen Lake.I went all the way to the suspention bridge and back.
|Across some of the lake|
|At the ground|
Saturday, October 6, 2012
I was scheduled to teach today, but I didn't. It's one of the hazards of being self-employed; even if you put yourself out there and block the time off in your diary, sort out the childcare and even come up with the project samples, there's no guarantee students will sign up.
So students! This is what you missed.